Summary of Position:
Our Sous Chef will work closely with the Executive Chef evolving our Tasting Room kitchen and offering in 2020 and work to develop a full-service event catering offering in 2020 and beyond. We are looking for someone with a true passion for celebrating the culinary heritage and agricultural bounty of Virginia, and for someone who can assist in sourcing and preparing ingredients to be thoughtfully paired with our wines. An ability to balance multiple demands and roles is critical. The most successful candidate will be able to handle administrative tasks as well as hands-on cooking. He or she must work well in a team environment, perform well under pressure, and be able to take constructive criticism. Leadership, communication, and organizational skills are essential. The position will require weekend and holiday hours.
- Must have knowledge of four/five-star food preparation, management, and hospitality standards and/or other dining evaluation criteria.
- A keen eye for detail and focus on quality are essential functions of this position.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; capable of developing and executing plans as well as taking initiative and responsibility for outcomes, and can motivate staff to do the same.
- Ability to manage, multi-task and communicate change effectively while working in a fast paced environment.
- Creative and highly adaptable self-starter. Can handle multiple projects and priorities and has a strong focus when it comes to personal and professional goal setting.
- Strong inventory control and/or purchasing skills. Candidate will be responsible for some ordering, rotation of inventory, inventory tracking and maintenance of par levels.
- Ensure all food handling, production and storage meets health department standards. Maintain cleanliness of all workstations, equipment, and food storage environments.
- Create prep list for the kitchen team, and ensure that staff are checking their daily pars and maintaining pars as necessary.
- Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours.
- Knows and complies with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards & rules, policies and procedures.
- Work with the Executive Chef to produce diversified menus in accordance with the restaurant’s policy and vision.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Chef.
- Flexibility to step into whatever role is needed at the time in order to deliver exceptional customer service.
This may include taking on job responsibilities outside of this job description and may require assisting other departments in their regular functions.
- A minimum of five (5) years of related and progressive culinary experience in a fine dining and/or four or five star hotel/resort/restaurant.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all personnel
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs. regularly, as well as bend, stoop and reach, as well as remain standing for as many as 12 hours.
- Follow all recipes & plating specifications as directed
- Maintain personal hygiene standards in accordance with Virginia State Health Standards for Food Service
- Early Mountain’s 305-acre property, with history dating back to the Revolutionary War, has multiple hospitality spaces.
- A Tasting Room with approximately 130 seats is the primary hospitality environment. The property also includes an expansive event hall, board room, outdoor patios and terraced lawn with picnic tables and fire pits.
- The property currently includes a selection of apple trees, fig trees, table grapes (red and white), honeybees, chestnuts and persimmons. Additionally, there are foraging opportunities in the wooded sections of our land. We would also like to eventually establish a chef’s garden to grow heirloom fruits and vegetables as well as a selection of herbs.
No Job Description for a position can possibly include all duties which may be requested by guests or required by the winery. The objective of all positions is to effectively provide the services personally, or to immediately refer requests to the appropriate department manager. The items listed above are a summary of the major responsibilities of the position that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Discount
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- cooking: 3 years (Required)
- Sous Chef: 2 years (Preferred)
- ServSafe (Preferred)
- Prepare all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safety and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Assist with the cleaning and organization of kitchen and equipment
- Restock items as needed throughout the shift
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes
- Only full-time employees eligible
Please send cover letter and references to email@example.com.
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATE
Our winery is looking for friendly, outgoing, and enthusiastic associates with a passion for wine, food and people. Candidates must enjoy speaking on, serving, and uplifting Virginia wine. Exceptional customer service skills, fantastic communication with both customers and other employees are also essential qualities. A desire to expand knowledge of Virginia wine and provide top notch service experiences for our members and guest are key to this position.
We offer a competitive hourly rate with the addition of restaurant equivalent gratuity.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Duties vary and will include:
Explain to guests the different style tasting/flight options offered in a knowledgeable and effective manner
Properly checking customer's ID's
Following steps of service that has been set forth by management
Offering wine paring suggestions that complement our menu items
Maintain specific side-work and ensure the total cleanliness and smooth operation
Clearing and resetting tables
Washing and polishing glassware and silverware
Stocking wine and retail items
Must be able to interact with guests in a friendly and professional manner to ensure complete satisfaction
Working effectively in a team
Learning new wines on a weekly basis
Assisting with special events when needed
At least 21 years old
Able to work a flexible schedule including holidays and weekends
Excellent communication and customer service skills
Holiday and weekend hours are required
Ability to lift 40 pounds and walk/stand for long periods of time
Comfortable learning our sales system using advanced technology, such as iPads, for ordering
Handle transactions with accuracy, including taking payments, giving change and packaging of merchandise
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the winery at 6109 Wolftown-Hood Road, Madison, VA 22727.