Cooking with Tim - Steak & Potatoes
March 30, 2020
As we have all been cooking much more at home, Chef Tim Moore, Early Mountain's Executive Chef, has filmed some easy instructional videos to make delicious restaurant meals at home. Check out the full video HERE and the recipe below.
Steak: (Lakota Ranch)
4 ea – 5oz Beef Tenderloin Medallions
3 ea – Cloves Garlic (smashed)
1 ea - Sprig Rosemary
1 ea - Sprig Thyme
1 Tbl – Unsalted Whole Butter
1 Tbl – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked Black Peppercorn, to taste
Kosher Salt, to taste
5 ea – Idaho Potatoes
1 qt – Heavy Cream
6 ea – Cloves Garlic (minced)
1/3 C – Parsley (chopped)
1 Tbl – Kosher Salt
2 Tbl – Unsalted Whole Butter
½ lb – Local Spring Mix (washed)
½ C – Balsamic Vinegar
½ C – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ C – Sugar
1 tsp – Whole Black Peppercorn
Method for Steak:
- Temper beef at room temperature for about 15 minutes. While beef is tempering, heat a large sauté pan to medium-low heat. Salt and pepper both sides of beef and turn burner heat up to medium-high heat.
- Pour olive oil into hot pan. After oil is to its smoking point, very carefully place beef into pan (making sure not to splash hot oil). Give each steak a nice press down to ensure complete surface area is in contact with pan. Let sear for about 4-5 minutes.
- Check each steak individually for nice and consistent caramelization. After this is complete, carefully flip steaks and begin to sear other side of the beef.
- After about 2 minutes; add butter, thyme, rosemary and garlic to pan. Using a spoon, baste steaks for 2-3 minutes.
- After basting is complete, remove steaks from pan and let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes.
Method for Potatoes:
- Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into a medium size dice (between the size of a nickel and a quarter)
- Add diced potatoes and heavy cream to a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to a medium-low heat and simmer. Stir occasionally to ensure cream doesn’t scorch on the bottom of the pot.
- Simmer potatoes until very tender. Add garlic and let cook for another 3 minutes. Turn burner off and remove from heat.
- Strain potatoes (making sure to reserve heavy cream) and add them back to the pot.
- Add butter, parsley, and salt; using a medium whisk, start to mash and whisk potatoes.
- While stirring, add reserved heavy cream to potatoes until desired consistency is obtained. Taste and season further if needed.
Method for Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a vessel of your choice and reserve for later use.